Re: Stromberg

Subject: Re: Stromberg
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 18:59:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jim :

My suggestion would be to try a little starting ether, just to make sure
your problem is lack of fuel.  It also doubles as a choke, just in case
your's isn't working.

There is no accelerator pump, per se, that squirts fuel when you move
the throttle.  (Your friend is probably looking for the squirt to be
sure there is fuel in the float bowls.)  Instead, the damper on the top
of the vacuum chamber performs the same function of temporarily
richening the mixture when the throttle is opened (but only when the
engine is running).

As gasoline evaporates, it leaves behind a gummy residue known as
varnish.  It's possible this has glued some of the passages shut ...

There is a Haynes carburetor manual that appears to have a pretty decent
description of the ZS carbs, I believe it's still available from Moss,
et al.  The title is "Weber Carburetor Manual", but it also covers the
ZS and SU carbs.

Randall