Stromberg

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stromberg
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 18:53:05 EDT
So near yet so far. After 1 1/2 to 2 years of disassembly, I'm now at the
point of turning the car over and trying to get it started.
No go.
The problem seems to be fuel not spark. Gas is getting through the line right
up to the carburetor but nothing seems to be happening after that. I have
both the Haynes manual and the Ball Workshop Book but I know so little about
carburetors in general and Strombergs in particular. A neighbor who used to
do this for a living on Chevy's shook his head at the Strombergs and wanted
to know what the equivalent of the 'accelerator pump' was on these things.
I do want to point out that I removed the carbs as a unit about 1 1/2 years
ago and have done nothing to them. They were covered during this inactive
period but I did not touch them -- no adjustments. Nothing. What might
inactivity have done? I did keep them oiled but might there have been a
residue that thickened/hardened/solidified?
Anyway, I have a parts car with Strombergs and I am now going to slowly and
carefully disassemble one of those to see what's inside and how it ticks. For
the moment, my main question is whether there's a sequence of
steps/troubleshooting to begin with to try to address non-performance of
carburetors. Maybe better, is there anything akin to "Carburetors for
Dummies" out there?
Thanks.

Jim
654A