Re: OD

To: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: OD
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 18:45:16 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Graham Stretch"
>Hi Ronnie, Dave,
There is only one problem with rubber sheet from the plumbing centre, it
won't cope well with oil, unless it is synthetic rubber! This is unlikely
as
water does not have the same effect so natural rubber is OK for most
plumbing applications. You may be ok for a while with rubber as the only
area in contact with the oil is going to be the inner edge of the ring but
eventually it will deteriorate right through the section of the rubber,
then
leak like billyo!
<

Graham, thanks for the heads up.  However, I think that like most rubber
products here in the colonies this rubber is neoprene and not natural
rubber at all.  I used this material to replace a bum seal on an oil filled
electric space heater (made in Italy) and It has survived mineral oil just
fine lo these many years.

Another option to consider is cork.  Here in the states many car parts
retailers carry roll cork gasket material from which you can custom
fabricate your own gaskets.

In either case one must take care when tightening the plug when using this
type of material as it can extrude from underneath the mating surfaces.

I am open to other options as well.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3