TR4A General Restoration Questions

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A General Restoration Questions
From: "David Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:27:55 -0400
Hi List,
Things are finally moving along in the restoration of my TR4A.

I have a couple of general questions.

First, I would like to thank everyone on the list who has helped me so far.
Rick Taylor whose generosity is greatly appreciated. Adrian who sent me a
sketch of a safety brake bushing. Steve Sewell who sent me a bushing plus
all the hardware to attach my new safety brake cables. Carl Sereda for his
insight and suggestions. And everyone else that has helped me out so far.

I am working on my windshield wiper motor and I would like some suggestions
on how to clean and protect the aluminum end piece. I have noticed that some
cars I have seen on display have aluminum and what appears to be bare metal
looking like new.
In the past, I have used wire wheels to clean aluminum but it always looked
wire wheeled. What I am looking for is a unscratched, clean, "new" looking
surface. Any thoughts/ suggestions. I have heard of a "Naval Jelly" type
product that works on aluminum. Has anyone had any experience with this.

Secondly, because I have a TR-250 frame under my TR4A, the steering rack is
just about dead center where the fan would have been. The long, fan
extension bolt is just above the steering rack. This leaves me with the
option of using no fan or an electric. I am leaning towards an electric
replacement fan. My real concern is addressing the vibration damper issue.
If I need one, where can I get one? Also, do these dampers have a pulley to
drive the water pump and generator? The fan issue is far down the road for
me but I would like to be able to plan for this as I continue with my
restoration.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Connitt
Cincinnati, OH '66 TR4A CTC71048L