Re: Herald/Spitfire crossbreeding

To: <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Herald/Spitfire crossbreeding
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:08:59 EDT
In a message dated Mon, 7 May 2001 10:44:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kevin B.
Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com> writes:

<< Since I have most of a low-mileage 74 Spitfire in pieces in  the garage, and
a rather tired 1147 motor in my Herald, I want to start swapping parts....

Will a 63 Herald 1147 motor bolt up to a 74 Spit transmission? >>

Yes, although you'll probably need to use the throwout bearing and arm from the
Herald unless you convert over to the diaphragm clutch of the Spitfire. I'm
assuming your Herald has the earlier coil-spring-style clutch.

<< What about the driveshaft? And differential? >>

The Spitfire driveshaft won't work; it's much too short (around 7" too short).
It's possible that you might have to have the Herald driveshaft shortened just
a wee bit, as the all-synchro gearboxes are something like 5/8" longer than the
3-synchro older boxes. On the other hand, the various rubber mounts MIGHT(?)
accommodate most or all of that difference.

Differential will bolt right in. Of course, you'll need to either drill two
more spring mount stud holes in the case, or convert to the swing-spring setup.
There are heavier-duty swing-springs available from (I think) Canley Classics
-- formerly John Kipping, as I suspect the Spitfire's spring would be a bit
light-duty for the extra weight of the Herald. And you'll need to switch to the
larger u-joint flanges all around if you go for this swap. Note that u-joints
are the same regardless.

<< I want to use the Spit tranny and rear end mostly because I want to use the
Spit Speedo and tach as well. Herald Speedo is quite knackered. Syncro'd first
will be nice. Eventually the 1500 motor is going in too. >>

It might make the most sense to do this all at once. The 1500 motor, too,
should bolt right in. And depending on which exact 1147 motor/manifold you
have, the current exhaust might just about bolt up as well (earlier Herald
1200s had a smaller exhaust manifold flange).

--Andy

Andrew Mace, VTR President and Herald Consultant