No Oil Pressure - 74 TR6

To: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Subject: No Oil Pressure - 74 TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 13:27:47 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Lumia, John"
>Also, there may be some people who disagree, but I read years ago
somewhere
that when starting the engine after an oil change its better to get the
RPM's up to around 1500 in order to get the oil to the upper engine as
quick
as possible.  I have been doing this on other cars for years without any
problems (1986 GTI and 1988 Caravan both with over 150k miles and neither
car burns oil).
<

I wouldn't say I disagree but I would say that since the oil pump is a
positive displacement type the amount of oil pumped is a function of the
number of revolutions.  So, although you may be getting oil up there more
quickly (in regards to time) the engine will still turn over the same
number of revolutions before you get oil up there regardless of the speed.
One thing you can do to speed up the process (if you have a spin-on type
filter) is prefill the filter.

Cheers

Dave (driving TR6 today)