No Oil Pressure - 74 TR6

To: "Sloan, Jim" <JSloan@talisman-energy.com>
Subject: No Oil Pressure - 74 TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:42:06 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Sloan, Jim"
>I Started up my  74 TR6 for the first time in 3-4 months last night. I
became alarmed when the oil pressure gauge did not show pressure and the
oil
light stayed on after about 15-20 seconds.
<snip>
Also - the last act of autumn was to change the oil. I did run it after for
a minute to get pressure. I also installed a spin on FRAM filter in place
of
my usual spin on Purolator and 10-30 instead of 20-50 just to hold it for
the winter.  I've  seen list submissions re: bypass valves in some filters
and not in others.  Could the FRAM have anything to do with this? .
Perhaps
20 seconds was not enough.  Is there anything I should avoid doing  so as
not to risk damage? Thanks,
<

Jim,  sounds like your oil pump has lost its prime.  Oil pumps are designed
to pump oil and do not pump air very well (if at all) and if all the oil
leaks out of the pump the air will bypass the pump lobes and you get no
pumping action.

One thing that might work (at least it's a whole lot easier than dropping
the pan, pulling the pump and packing it with grease) is to remove the
pressure relief valve and pumping in oil with a pump oiler.  Some just
might get into the pump and solve the problem.

FWIW, I have never had this problem with any of my TR6's, some of which
have sat idle for 6 - 7 months.  But TR8's are notorious for this.

It is very unlikely that the filter has caused this.  Only a total,
catastrophic failure of the filter would cause a total loss of oil
pressure.  The bypass valve in the filter only bypasses the filter element
and will continue to allow the oil to flow.  You could try removing the
filter and cranking the engine to see if oil comes out.  I bet it won't.

The first thing I would try is pumping oil in the relief valve passages.

Good luck.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6