Re: admittedly, I try not to inject politics...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: admittedly, I try not to inject politics...
From: Lftlesl@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:41:09 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/2001 12:47:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM writes:

<< I see this as part of the "State's rights" movement, which I'm heartily in
 favor of.

 In other words, the state and local governments should be tasked with
 regulating the police, _not_ the federal government ! >>

Coming from a state in which the mantle of "state's rights" has traditionally
been used as a cloak to hide detestible violations of civil rights, I have to
disagree. When police authority is abused and citizens' rights are trampled
-- as I believe to be the case in Texas -- the United States Constitution is,
or should be, our protection.

It is true that state and local governments ought to guarantee basic rights,
including the right against unreasonable search and seizure. Unfortunately,
our history is chock full of instances where local and state governments fall
down in that obligation. Sadly, the U.S. Supreme Court has now joined in that
unhappy legacy.

Les Landon
(Rant mode off -- I usually don't like to get involved in political
discussions, but this does involve driving.)
1962 TR3B TCF644L
Baton Rouge, LA