Quality of NEW TR6 Crankshafts???

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Quality of NEW TR6 Crankshafts???
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 18:09:45 -0400
Cc: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Has anyone purchased a new TR6 crankshaft, available from Moss and others
for about $200?  If so can you comment on the quality of the crank...
especially compared to your old one (disregarding wear though obviously)?

As I finally get around to building up my spare engine, which first requires
me to de-construct it, I was saddened to find a pretty chewed up crankshaft.
I would have the journals ground down for thicker bearings, but running the
supercharger I don't want to do that (thus I'm inquiring about the new
cranks).

I would think that after 30 years the metallurgy and associated processes
involved in making new crankshafts has progressed, but then again with most
of these parts coming from India or Taiwan we might be receiving parts
produced using the same methods and impure metals found in 1940s parts.

Thanks,

Kai