Re: MPG test

To: vafred@erols.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MPG test
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:51:37 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/01 4:09:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, vafred@erols.com
writes:

> averaged 28.7 and this was traveling at over 70 MPH, I think I could do
> better at 60/65 but on # 95 you get run over at the speed, kinda proud of
> the MPG though.

Fred,

I never calculated the mpg on my old '58 TR3A that I had years ago but 28.7
mpg sounds very impressive......I'm getting 30 in the Spit - not a good
comparison to a 3 but nevertheless with premium gas hovering around $2.00 to
$2.50 per gallon, I'd be happy with 28.7.

I'd say the only thing left to do if you really want to fine tune the engine
is tweak the timing for a slight border-line ping under load then back off
just a smidge.  Do TR3 distributors have vernier adjusters for setting
timing?.....they're great gizmo's for tweaking timing to really get it
perfect.....you can tell that I'm not really a believer in relying totally on
the timing light!

Cheers,

Chip