Lightest Car

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lightest Car
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:28:08 -0500
Okay... I have to weigh in... pardon the intentional pun...

My submission: Berkeley.  Berkeley cars were produced on a production
line in England and sold via a formal dealership network in the US from
1956-1959. Several hundred were sold.

They weigh in at 650 pounds with the basic 328 engine. (Very early cars
with a 322 were even lighter.) All glass; no chassis or frame. Excelsior
2 stroke engine, fwd.  18hp = 65mph.    (Later, uglier cars using 4
stroke Royal Enfield motors would top 100)

I no longer have a US-Spec Berkeley in my stable, but I do have 2
UK-spec 3-wheelers (of about a dozen in the US).  Here's one:
http://www.concentric.net/~Wcelliot/Berkeley/

Some other micros are even lighter, but this is the lightest one that
was widely sold and distributed in the US.

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL