happy tach

To: rochlin@massed.net, pmullen@telus.net
Subject: happy tach
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:03:57 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Bob, Pat,
        I was cruising down the highway one day, on the way to the
VTR National in Portland, Maine, and my tachometer started
whipping back and forth from Zero to redline.  Once I realized that it
wasn't the engine (whew!) I reached under the dash and unscrewed
the drive cable.
        Later, I examined the cable, but it was OK.
        Mike Buonanduci at "Bit of Britain" in Vermont gave me this
idea....
        Visit Radio Shack and buy a can of  "Tuner Control Cleaner and
Lubricant".  Remove the housing on the tachometer to expose the
drive mechanism.  Protect the gauge face with a rag, and give the
mechanism a few blasts from the spray can.
        The tach is happy now.  I suppose it would work on the speedo
too.

On 10 May 2001, at 6:40, Bob Rochlin wrote:

> OK Rick, I'll bite.  Whats the trick?
> Bob Rochlin
> 72' TR 6

*snip*
> > Is your tach and speedo needle movement nice and steady? There's a
> > trick for that, too.  But, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

Regards,
        Rick Barnard
        '73 TR6 restored - CF2570U
        '71 TR6 donor car - CC63322L