Refinishing a wooden steering wheel

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Refinishing a wooden steering wheel
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:15:10 -0400
Hello everyone.

I recently completed a little project of mine that I thought I'd share with
you.  Maybe it will inspire some of you into doing something that you were
afraid to tackle yourself.

I traded a few parts a few months ago and one of the parts I received in the
exchange was and old wooden steering wheel.  The before pics don't show the
extent of the cracks, but they were way beyond my abilities to fix.  So I
decided to replace the wood.

I've NEVER worked with wood before in my life, not counting cutting or
nailing it!  I just took my time and with a lot of patience, ended up with
quite a nice steering.

Take a look for yourself:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1579918&a=12815678&f=0

Total time spend on this project was around 20 hours.

Since this steering wheel is 12.5" instead of 15", the major bonuses are
1) I have a nice looking steering wheel
2) My left leg is no longer squeezed between the steering and the door!
3) My wife can now see over the steering!

If anyone wants more details on what I did, don't hesitate to ask.

Ciao for now
Steph
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
'69 Spit - Hers (Currently on 4 blocks for brakes hydraulics rebuild!)
'71 TR6 - Mine (Parts all over the garage!)