ExxonMobil tribute to brit cars

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: ExxonMobil tribute to brit cars
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:17:55 -0600
Cc: Pam Newell <pamnewell@yahoo.com>
U.S. PBS stations are now broadcasting ExxonMobil
Masterpiece Theatre's excuse to showcase British Cars --
Kingsley Amis's comic novel on the art of seduction, Take
a Girl Like You. Mind you, the last book I read was a
Standard-Triumph shop manual reprint, and my literary
crit class notes are a bit dusty. But perhaps others on the
list will enjoy this 'wistfully faithful portrayal of late 1950s-era
England'. Or at least recognize more of the cars than I did.

FWIW my favorite scene in last night's episode was in a
'50s strip club. The... quit that, that's not what I meant, this is
PBS after all... anyway, the curtains opened on 5 dancers
surrounding a motorcycle, and one fellow in the audience
says to his friend "that's a '52 BSA C11" or something like
that. Which might be exactly the point of watching a sharply
written period comedy to see the old British cars? ;-)

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO