TR4: Clevis, your small but important friend

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4: Clevis, your small but important friend
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:17:01 -0600
the master cylinder, broke. Not a tough fix, and 'luckily'
part of
the pin was jammed between the two in a way that allowed me
to drive the last two miles home.

Actually, the pedal simply 'felt different' for a couple
stop lights,
then felt about the same. Parking in front of the house, the
car
clonked a bit when stopping hard. For the year I've owned
the
car, I've had about 1 1/2 inches of play in the clutch
pedal. With
a new pin, that's mostly gone. So I'm guessing this pin has
been
wearing away for some time. I *think* the 'head' end had
been
broken for some time, as I found a middle piece and the end
with the cotter pin, but no head end.

Lessons I drew from the event:

- Those things can wear out. I should check them
occasionally.
- A worn or broken clevis pin can cause a bit of play in
your
    clutch pedal.
- The same failure on my brake pedal, all of a sudden, would

    be Very Bad.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO