RE: Decisions, Decisions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Decisions, Decisions
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:45:21 -0700
Dave :

My choice would be to fit the electric fan.  IMO the harmonic dampener is
optional unless you are going racing, my TR3A has run for many years and a
lot of fairly high-speed highway miles without one.  Although the TR6 motor
can theoretically be modified to a higher power level than your 4 banger, it
doesn't make any more power in stock form, and weighs more, costs more to
tune up, etc.  I don't know what the smog rules are in Ohio, but in CA if
you put in a motor that was originally subject to smog requirements, your
car now has to meet the standards of the motor.  You're not likely to be
caught, of course, but it has happened.

BTW your current transmission should bolt up to the TR6 motor.  If it's a
late TR6 with the pilot bearing in the flywheel, you may have to shorten the
input shaft.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver
- near Long Beach, CA