RE: Decisions, Decisions

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Decisions, Decisions
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 01 07:23:34 -0700
>My choice would be to fit the electric fan.  IMO the harmonic dampener is
>optional unless you are going racing,

The harmonic dampener is chosen to tame a nasty harmonic that exists at
around 5200 RPM.  That harmonic is why the TR Factory race cars were red
lined at 5000 RPM.

It doesn't take much time at all above 5000 RPM to crack the crank at the
base of the flywheel mounting flange.

So if you are a normal sane person you just pay attention to your tach
and never cross over into the red zone.  Your crank will be quite happy
and live a long happy life.

However if you do crazy things like stalk modern roadsters or race alfas
through windy mountain roads you would break the crank in a stock bottom
end in no time.

I have the harmonic dampener to take the harmonic at just over 5000 RPM,
cross drilled the crank oil passages for better bearing lubrication and
the crank is nitrided to help withstand the harmonic that is in the high
5000 range.  My tach needle flirts with the 6000 RPM mark

If you are going to be crazy you need to be well prepared or you will
break in very short order.

However if you are sane and follow the owner's manual rules don't bother
with the extra expense of a dampener.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.shadow-catcher.net      <- Photography for sale
http://www.overlander.net          <- Web directory for Land Rover
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman   <- My personal web site

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937