RE: 2 Questions (TR4)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 2 Questions (TR4)
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:29:24 -0400
>===== Original Message From Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com> =====
Noah,

>1)     Touching up paint dings on a non-concourse car- where do I get the
>paint?  (Boston area people?) Im not sure if my red is standard triumph red
>or not.  What do I do once Ive got the paint?  (Ive read the VTR method,
>which looks INCREDIBLY detailed).  What primer do I use, if any?

Moss-Europe carries a complete line of "Classic Car"  touch up paints in the
thicker touch-up consistency and in aerosol cans for doing engine bays and
trunks... things that don't require perfect finish quality.

I used these paints and primers on my engine bay and the result was very good.

>2)     Incorrectly reading temp guage- My car was running consistently
>pegged at "100" ont he temp gague, but a thermometer stuck in the radiotar
>reads about 80C...how do I make hte temp guage work better, to tell me if
>something is going wrong?  Replace the gauge?  Replace the sensor?

The instruments voltage stabilizer or temp sending unit are first suspects.
You can swap in another gauge to check to see if it's the gauge.  I have a
complete backup set for this type of diagnostic work.

>3)     Gearshift popping out of gear- title says it all.  Im assuming just
>an old, in need of rebuild/replacement gearbox...any other less dramatic
>quick fixes?

This didn't happen during our test drive.  When does it happen.

I know your goal is to swap the non-synchro TR3 gearbox to a TR4 all-synchro.
If it is due to worn bushings then a swap is the best plan.

>4)     Left front wheel touching the fender and rubbing on hard right
>corners while braking...im going to jack it up and look..any best guesses on
>whats wrong, what to look for?

Your car has wire wheels... right.  This happened to me when I installed wire
wheels on my car.  The WW hub extensions move the front track out a couple of
inches.  I ended up doing a small amount of pushing on the wheel well edges to
fix it.  Since the front end rebuild this never happens anymore.

Check the other good advice on turn stops...  but you did not say when it
happens.  Is it when you are driving straight and the wheel go through full
movement because of a dip in the pavement???  or when you are turning sharply
in the driveway???

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site