RE: TR250 camshaft (sorry for dupes, trying put into plaintext mode)

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR250 camshaft (sorry for dupes, trying put into plaintext mode)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:32:08 -0700
David :

I've done the "change the bearings in the car" several times on my TR3A,
it's not difficult.

However, in your case, I'd be worried about the bits & pieces of camshaft
lobe that have been circulating through your engine.  All it takes is one
left in an oil gallery somewhere ...

I'd also want to have a look at the piston skirts, and the cam bearings.

Similar to what Nelson suggested, I use a flattened old insert as a drift,
tapping it gently with a hammer to start the upper insert out.  Once it's
out a half inch or so, I find I can remove it the rest of the way by
pinching it against the crankshaft with one hand, and turning the crank with
the other.  Sometimes this will work without loosening the other main caps
and risking damage to the seals.

Use Plastigage to check clearances on assembly.

Randall