Re: 71 A-OD relay location

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Russ Pagano" <pagano@home.com>
Subject: Re: 71 A-OD relay location
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 07:37:02 -0400
> I'm in the final stages of adding an A-type OD to my 71 but can't find a
> good place to mount the 3rd relay. Dan Masters' most excellent book says
71s
> came with 2 relays; one for the hazards and one for the horn unless an OD
> was fitted then no horn relay was used and the 2nd relay was used for the
> OD. Wacky but true! I have an air horn so I'm using the horn relay with
> existing wiring. There's a 4 way connector block with 2 heavy gauge brown
> wires in and nothing out mounted to the inner fender near the fuse box.
The
> brown wires are always hot so that would be a good relay "C1" wire.  I was
> thinking of using this space for the 3rd relay since the upper OD harness
> would like to be there.  Can anyone tell me what this connector is for?
Any
> other ideas on mounting locations for the relay?
> Russ
> Columbia, MD

Hi Russ,

I'm facing the same problem on my '70.    You can put it about anyplace
under the dash if you want.  I'm going to mount mine next to the existing
relays using a small bracket secured by the left most and the center
forward bolts holding the pedal bracket.   This will be in front of the
wiper motor.  The bracket will keep the relay about a half inch above the
flat surface.  Added relays are frequently put in this area for air
conditioning systems.   The regular OD wiring harness will reach this area
and also the fuse block.  I use the empty slot of the fuse block to fuse the
brown wire to the OD relay in an effort to minimize unfused circuits.

I've also wondered about that connector block in front of the fuse block.
The voltage regulator goes there on the TR250.  I've wondered if the
connector block served to hold and connect the wires that previously went to
the voltage regulator in case they decided to go back to the separate
regulator design.   I haven't compared the wires to see if they are the
same.

Good luck,

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (assembling after new paint)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)