Re: simple doughnut removal

To: clshore@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: simple doughnut removal
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:19:08 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
>In my ignorance, I changed the rotoflex donuts on my
>GT6+ without any bearing or hub diasassembly. I did
>have to disconnect the upright from the spring, shock,
>and lower A arm, etc.
>
>Did it in the dirt in my front yard. (dirt, nature's
>own lock-tight)
Not meant as a flame in any way, BUT do tell. . .
Please explain just exactly how you did this as I would love to know??
Unless someone put them on the reverse side that they would normally be
installed on, (not sure if that can even be done) then the doughnut has to
pass over the hub/upright assy - even without the band in place this would
be an extraordinary feat to stretch it that far.  I'm not superman (except
in my own mind:-}), but fairly able, and I found that stretching these
large rubber pieces any amount requires considerable effort (or maybe I am
just a panty-waist :-})
Did you slip it over the mounting ears??  I just can't visualize how this
could be done, the doughnuts don't stretch that much (and non at all when
the band is in place for installation), and there isn't enough room in the
center of the doughnut to maneuver it over and onto the ears.  I
personally would love to know if in fact there is a way to install these
without disturbing the hub assy!!
Maybe I have overlooked something. . .