Re: TR3 _ Badges _ Overheating

To: "Adrian Jones" <GussieFinkNottle@msn.com>, " TR list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 _ Badges _ Overheating
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 01 08:43:41 -0700
>I've just got done removing the badge bar ( 5 badges and 2 repro Lucas fog
>lights).

Question (Only if this is a TR3A) -  Do you have an original factory
grill or a reproduction grill???

The reproduction grill has wider slats and less area between the slats
for air flow.

My TR3A didn't overheat until I rebuilt the car.  The rebuild included
swaping out a slightly tattered not quite pristine stock grill for a
pretty new one.

Since the rebuild the car wanted to run hot sitting in traffic on a hot
day or climbing a long mountain road.  I added a recovery bottle (from a
GT6.  It fits on the right apron shelf just behind the cardboard air
deflector and can not be seen).  The recovery bottle helped a great deal
but the car still wanted to overheat sitting in traffic on warm days or
on long hot grades.

Someone, I think on this list, mentioned that a reproduction grill can
cause marginal overheating.  So at the 2000 VTR I borrowed a ruller and
went out measuring grills.

And gosh gee the slats were indeed wider and the area between slats was a
fair amount smaller.  I located and purchased a good used ORIGINAL grill.
 It has been on for about two months so far and I have not seen any
overheating yet.  The needle has been lower than I remember under all
driving conditions so far.  I still need to give it the acid test and
drive inland into the summer heat but so far so good with a noticable
difference in temp gauge needle location.

But so far, the size of the grill opening seems to be the key to running
OK and marginal overheating.  The recovery bottle allows overflowed
coolent to be pulled back in and prevents coolent loss runaway
overheating.

Oh and I also have the proper skirted thermostat and the proper long
radiator cap.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
webmaster@overlander.net      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html