Re: PI Conversion for TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PI Conversion for TR6
From: GreenBugeye@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 00:46:01 EDT
> I am interested in converting my "76 TR6 to PI. Knowing how scarce the
> availability of Lucas PI systems, I would like to investigate the
> possibility
> of putting together possibly an Elctronic Fuel Injection system from "off
> the
> shelf components"  Any constructive ideas out there? What kind of a system
> should I be looking for?  Someone has already suggested that perhaps an EFI
> from a 2.5L BMW would fit the bill.  Any help or pointing me in the right
> direction would be appreciated. Thanks
> Seth Glassman
> '76 TR6
> CF57223UO

I sent this to a good BMW friend, and got this reply:

<<  The BMW 2.5L (M20 engine) system will not be an easy adaptation - in
BMW's design, the injectors are port introduced, directly into each cylinder
through the head.  A "TBI" (throttle body injection) is the logical choice.

  Howell offers a system (based upon 1980s GM V6 light trucks) in many
different configurations.  I installed their unit on the family heirloom '83
CJ7, and it is absolutely superior to the carburetor setup the Jeep engineers
thought appropriate.  (Not to mention, removing the 37-odd feet of vacuum
line from the Jeep's engine bay remains, to this day, one of my dearest
automotive memories, period.)  The unit uses two injectors, and bolts to the
intake in place of the carb.  It delivers more fuel, and is capable of
fouling plugs more easily (upgrading distributor, coil, etc... should be
considered).  It is more efficient, more responsive, and provides "better"
power across the band.  It cost just under $1000 USD two years ago.

Oh, it's quite smooth, as well.>>

Hope this helps!

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye