TR3A Front brake rotor replacement question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A Front brake rotor replacement question
From: datesmanaric@netscape.net
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:05:12 -0400
Greetings List,

I'm faced with replacing a front brake rotor on my '59 TR3A and am looking for
some guidance.  I have removed the hub and, after cleaning everything up and
replacing the bearings (blown outer bearing instigated this project), replaced
the rotor with a new one from TRF.  The problem I'm having is with runout on
the rotor face.  The manual I have states that 0.002" runout is acceptable, but
no more.  I'm getting 0.005", as measured by a 1/2 thou dial indicator.  I have
tried disassembling the hub and rotor and reassembling them with the rotor
rotated 90 degrees from where it had been several times and have now tried all
four possibilities at least once with identical results.  This leads me to
believe the clamping face on the hub is out (and that the rotor itself is not
the problem).

So what are my options?  Put it all back together and live with 0.005" runout?
Take it in and have the assembly machined true?  If so, do I just take the hub
and rotor (with the bearings?) or do I mount it all on the car and take the
whole thing?  I'd rather not have to find a new hub, but would that be the best
choice?

Thanks for the help.

-Aric.