Re: In defence of parts purveyors - long

Subject: Re: In defence of parts purveyors - long
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:24:33 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Well said, John !  We are indeed fortunate that people like the Rimmer
brothers are making parts for our cars so available.

I've never dealt with Rimmers, as their long awaited TR3 catalogue is
still just that, but I've bought a lot of car parts over the years, both
LBC and otherwise.  SNAFU doesn't just apply to the military ...

And surely part of the problem is both the global nature and the range
of parts they sell.  When the local shop sells me the wrong fan belt,
it's no big deal.  When Rimmers ships someone the wrong engine block,
it's bound to be a little more memorable !  Plus of course, folks in
North America tend to buy from more local suppliers when they can, they
usually only resort to Rimmers when looking for that "asymmetric doofer
bracket" that is NLS (or never heard of) on this side of the pond.

Plus, there's the language barrier too.  I once had an ex-pat friend of
mine contact a UK firm about some fiberglass fenders.  They referred him
to a marine supply !

Randall