What's Whistling?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's Whistling?
From: "Rick Murray" <murray54@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:28:55 -0400
Cc: <murray54@bellsouth.net>
My 75 TR6 makes a very noticeable (and irritating) whistling noise at 2500
rpm plus/minus 50 rpm. It's been doing this for about a year, and I thought
I would eventually figure out what was doing it -- no luck.  It makes the
noise whether the car is moving or sitting still, but it seems to be most
noticeable from inside the car, top down, and going down the road.  Opening
the bonnet and revving up to 2500 rpm while sitting in the driveway really
doesn't help.  In fact it's not nearly so easy to hear that way.  Also, I
can barely hear it sometimes around 1250 rpm, but not nearly as pronounced
as it is at 2500 rpm.

I replaced the alternator with a Lucas replacement just before the whistling
started, and I thought that maybe that was where the whistling was coming
from, but I really haven't been able to determine one way or the other if
the new alternator is the source.  Anyway, if anybody out there has had a
similar experience or any suggestions, I'd appreciate your comments.  I'm
getting tired of dancing around 2500 rpm just so I won't hear the whistling.

Rick Murray
Lilburn,GA