TR3 - How to hook up to tow ?

To: "Pat" <pleask@mailhost.wlc.com>
Subject: TR3 - How to hook up to tow ?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:54:36 -0400
Cc: "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Pat"
>Because it is not yet running I have to have it pulled up onto the flat
deck
"tow truck". Where can I hook up the rope on the frame (or ?) that can with
stand the force ?

I'm thinking about hooking it on to the round bar that goes across the
width
of the car infront of the radiator. Hook the rope/chain up to where it goes
infront of where the steering rack bolts on, is this okay ?
<

Isn't that the steering tie rod?  Not a good idea.  The factory provided
tie brackets at the ends of the frame for overseas shipping.  If those are
no longer on the car then look for other stout frame features or tie off to
the suspension lower A-arms.  In the rear tie off to the axle.

General notes:   when towing a car on a trailer or flat bed truck it is
important to tie it off at all four corners in a diagonal configuration.
Unless you are certain that you will not encounter traffic and will there
is no possibility of the need to make evasive manuvers you will need to
secure the car from movement in all four directions - forward, reverse,
right and left.  Don't count on tire friction unless you like to repeat
bodywork.  Most trailers have wood decking and wood has a terrible
coefficient of friction.

Dave