RE: OD leak

To: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OD leak
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:24:38 -0400
Ronnie,

>My question is, did I mess up? Is their any thing I could have driven out of
>place. The unit was attached very tight. Do I need to break it all back down.

I really don't think so.  The amount of end-play on the pair of annulus
bearings is very small and that's all you could have moved.

>Second, when I reassemble I will clean the two halves very well. Do I need to
>completely clean and flush the entire unit to insure no oil leaks or drips on
>to the cleaned surfaces or just try and clean the surfaces and apply the
>sealer.

I would wipe out the forward casting enough to allow you to clean the mating
surfaces with paint thinner or lacquer thinner.

>Third, what is the suggested sealer?

I used Permatex Blue Hylomar as a dressing on both sides of all gaskets and
have no leaks.  Another thing I did was to run a straight fine file over the
mating surfaces to take out out any of the bumps and dings that these old
aluminum castings have picked up.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L-O - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site