TR4 (early): radiator duct (air deflector) project

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 (early): radiator duct (air deflector) project
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:17:05 -0600
With recent notes on missing radiator ducts and cooling problems in TR3's, I'm
thinking about making a custom radiator duct for my early TR4 (CT5018LO). I have
the TR3 long neck radiator, but the fiberboard duct now on the car is the TR4
duct -- which doesn't exactly fit any more. Maybe it never did, but I'm sure
much of the misfit is due to intervening years and weather. I have big gaps at
the back edge -- 1" to 2" between the back edge of the duct and radiator -- and
a big roundish hole on one side. The duct only hits the top 1/3 or so anyway.

I've seen aluminum aftermarket ducts on TR6's. It seems like I could even scoop
up some air from below the front valance while I'm at it. I'm going to have the
radiator out for repairs (shortening the long neck while I'm at it) and I'll be
putting in the yellow fan/shorter fan hub assembly, so it's a good time to do
this one too.

Anyone done one for a TR4? Any thoughts/tips? Problems?

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO