Re: The Ultimate Compliment? idiots at the light

To: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>, "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, <LaJoMor@aol.com>
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Compliment? idiots at the light
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:03:31 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Going back to work from lunch I had a couple of 'youngsters
> in a skinny front tired, fat rear tired, Mustang II, pull up beside
> me at the light. The passenger asks if I want to race as the
> driver guns it.  My response.." I don't race a car that's older
> than the competitions driver" The passenger flips me the bird
> as the light turns green and the driver missiles away from the line.
> About two seconds latter I hear a loud BANG as I see him skid
> to a stop in the middle of the intersection with fluid pouring out
> from underneath the car.  (tranny exploded)
>
>  I just waved as I drove past. (LMFAO)

I scared a date away once playing with a kid in a Mustang 5.0- I saw this
hot dog doing the lane slalom through traffic in my rear view mirror. We
both hit  the red light at the same time, and he just sat next to my nice
dark blue 4 door 85 Impala, gunning his engine. My date didn't know what I
was up to...

Well, light goes green, and Junior Samples there decides to race me. I had
had that car several years at that point, although it was still rather
young, and I knew how to play the engine and automatic tranny like a violin.
My car picked up and moved out smartly- rocketing, basically. 5.0 Mustang
boy kept up for a little, but it looked like the car was doing push-ups from
his lousy clutching and shifting. Very quickly I walked away from him- just
plain out ran and out distanced the poor wannabe hotshot. (Did I mention my
Impala was a full police package model, with heavy duty everything, close
ratio steering, and a real live 5.7L-350c.i. 4bbl, with four bolt mains,
coupled to a nice 700R4 auto-overdrive cop tranny and a posi-rear? That baby
had so much torque it would lift the front end on heavy acceleration)

Long story short, I won the race, but my date decided she wasn't interested
in a rematch...lol... Had the clown known how to finesse a 5-speed, he
probably wouldn't have been such easy pickings. But I gotta get them when I
can.

Scott, now happily working on his Herald 1200