OD adapter plate

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OD adapter plate
From: "Ronnie Babbitt" <rbtr3a@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:34:08 -0400
Hi Friends.

As I described to you last night the bow I discovered in  OD adapter plate, I
carried it to work to let some of our engineers look at it, hoping they would
provide me a good solution to correct the problem. Several options were
presented.

1) Use a press  to reshape. Fearful the plate would crack or would eventually
return to its current shape. It was also agreed that this was poorly cast and
may have always had this shape.
2) Surface grind flat.  May weaken it and cause additional curvature.
3) Let CAD guys program a new one and cut it from stainless. (not to sure my
boss would like that one)
4) Apply a polymer to its existing surface. Which is what we choose to do.

We had just received a sample tube from a vendor for a project we were testing
the product is a 3m aluminum epoxy that was developed for us, it  has a temp
range from 250c to -55c (should meet any of my requirements). I Bead blasted
and cleaned the area well. I masked off all the areas not requiring a fillet.
We then applied a liberal amount of epoxy to the flange. A piece of Teflon was
applied to a straight edge which was clamped over the epoxy squeezing out all
excess material. With clamps in place the epoxy was cured in an oven for 1
hour.  After cure the plate is now very flat checked using a straight edge.

Needless to say I'm very pleased. This epoxy is extremely hard and impervious
to any kind of chemical my car will ever come into contact with.

thanks
Ronnie Babbitt