Re: Rt 70

To: "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "Pat Fischer" <pfischer@unicom.net>
Subject: Re: Rt 70
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 11:20:12 -0400
Cc: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Pat Fischer
>You must be thinking of the construction on I-70 in Kansas, Joe. They
don't do repairs in Missouri. Missourians can't quite figure out how other
states fund these darn things, but they say they're looking into it.
<

Missouri is hamstrung by the Hancock Amendment that arbitrarialy limits tax
revenues and hence funds available for road repairs.  Add to this equation
the fact that half the cross country traffic passes through Missouri,
busting up our roads, without stopping to buy gasoline.

Dave (next time try I-80) Massey

Dave 90% of "ALL" interstate highway funds are "FEDERAL" funds, we all pay
federal tax on  gasoline regardless of what state we buy our gas in and "NO"
these taxes are not automatically given back to each state according to how
much gas each state sells, and lastly I doubt any car can travel through
Missouri on Rt 70 without stopping to buy gas or buying something of some
sort anyway, whatever the "Hancock Amendment" is it certainly has nothing to
do with federal funds in Missouri and yes next time I sure would take
another route other than 70 through Missouri.  "FT"