strange light behavior

To: triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: strange light behavior
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:32:14 -0400
Okay, folks, here's an interesting behavior that begs a solution.

Every so often when I turn on my Spitfire ('80) headlights, they simply
don't come on.  Passing through the parking lights position on the switch
turns them and the dash lights on, but then all goes blank when I keep going
for the headlights.  Turning everything off and back on again brings
everything to life properly.

Now, I always assumed it was due to a flaky light switch, perhaps dirt
inside or a poor connection.  But this weekend it did something else
entirely.  While driving home one evening all had been working well.  But
once, when I switched on the high beams, all went dark.  I immediately
turned everything off and back on and lo! all was light again.  It sure made
me reluctant to try the high beams again.

So what would cause this?  If it was a bad connection in the switch, why did
it blink out when I engage the high beams (only)?  Surely they don't have
two separate wires comming off the light switch, do they?  Would a poor
connection, poorly seated fuse, weak ground, or other wiring deficiency
cause this sort of thing?

Thanks!

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com