Re: strange light behavior

To: jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: strange light behavior
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:28:39 EDT
In a message dated 01-09-02 20:34:38 EDT, jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net writes:

<< So what would cause this?  If it was a bad connection in the switch, why
did
 it blink out when I engage the high beams (only)?  Surely they don't have
 two separate wires comming off the light switch, do they?  Would a poor
 connection, poorly seated fuse, weak ground, or other wiring deficiency
 cause this sort of thing? >>

Jim,

Every spring when I take the covers off of the Spit and give it a safety
inspection for the driving season I have the same problem as you
mention.....in my case it always boils down to oxidized contacts on the dip
switch.....a light touch with some emery cloth and a shot of contact cleaner
and presto - good for the entire spring/summer/fall!

I suppose that eventually the contacts won't be able to clean up well enough
to keep further oxidation away so at that point I'll break down and buy a new
switch.

The complete black-out when you go to high beams is my favorite
malady....especially when you're motoring along at highway speeds....good
luck.

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (complete rolling chassis finished - busy painting various
interior parts, assembling the engine and still doing body prep - check out
my progress by visiting http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1270980)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (enjoying the summer)