strange light behavior

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: strange light behavior
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 09:48:22 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Jim Muller"
>Now, I always assumed it was due to a flaky light switch, perhaps dirt
inside or a poor connection.  But this weekend it did something else
entirely.  While driving home one evening all had been working well.  But
once, when I switched on the high beams, all went dark.  I immediately
turned everything off and back on and lo! all was light again.  It sure
made
me reluctant to try the high beams again.

So what would cause this?  If it was a bad connection in the switch, why
did
it blink out when I engage the high beams (only)?  Surely they don't have
two separate wires comming off the light switch, do they?  Would a poor
connection, poorly seated fuse, weak ground, or other wiring deficiency
cause this sort of thing?
<

Jim, you need to try this again - in your driveway where it won't matter if
the lights go out.  No, there is only one wire from the switch for the head
lights and the dip switch switches which set of filaments gets the power.
Now either you have a flaky dip switch as well or the lights extinguishing
when you engaged the high beams was coincidence and your problem was just a
flaky lighting switch  - or the change in current (the lights will pull a
much higher current momentarily when first switched on - this is called
inrush) could cause a flaky switch to act up.  I suspect that if you try
the highbeams in the driveway you will find that they will act up on a
random basis.  If so replace the light switch.  This is a critical part -
especially at night.

Dave