RE: Toyota Release Bearing in TR

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Toyota Release Bearing in TR
From: <britauto@ihpc.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:55:51 -0700
I just went through this drill...I started with a B&B pressure plate and
clutch disk with the OEM TO bearing.  After 100 miles the TO bearing
squeaked badly.   I found that the clutch master cylinder was sticking.  I
replaced the TO bearing and clutch master cylinder, and again around 100
miles the TO was squeaking.  I them went to the Toyota TO bearing with a new
sleeve (the TO bearing came pressed onto the sleeve).  All along I hated the
pressure it took to engage the clutch.  After a few hundred miles the damn
TO bearing was squeaking again.  I set my slave cylinder up like a
TR4....meaning I installed an adjustable rod and fork with the spring
attached to 'pull' the TO beating off the pressure plate   when released.
The squeaking slowly got worse.  It also became very notchy when hot.  I
ended up putting around 2000 miles on the clutch hoping to make it to
winter.  I finally got fed up with it and pulled the transmission once again
(what a pain!)  In a discussion I had with a Canadian TR owner describing my
clutch woes he said that the new sleeves don't come with the roll pin in
them to stop the TO sleeve from spinning on the clutch fork mechanism.  What
I found the last time I pulled the tranny was that indeed the TO sleeve had
been spinning on the fork causing wear on the sleeve.  I replaced the clutch
with the 'magic' clutch kit but I also drilled the TO sleeve and installed
the 1/8 inch roll pin.  I also replaced the pins on the clutch fork.  I left
the slave push rod and spring setup like a TR4....400 miles thus far and
everything is fine.  The Sachs pressure plate makes a much nicer feeling
clutch.

Bruce Harding
68 TR250
80 TR8