Re: Herald/Standard 10 engine/commission number question

To: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Subject: Re: Herald/Standard 10 engine/commission number question
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 08:50:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Erik Quackenbush wrote:

> I was looking at the Herald 1200 convertible that's for sale at a local
> classic car dealer. The car appears to be in good condition but it seems to
> have the wrong engine.
>
> Commission number:  GA48304L CU
> Engine number: BE98904 R
>
> According to one reference this is a 948cc engine from a 1957 Standard 10.
> The engine has a single Solex carburetor and a one piece manifold.

Yep, that is what my reference material says as well!

> Is it likely that the original 1147cc engine was replaced with a Standard
> 10 engine?
>   Could this have been an new replacement engine from the factory?

Doubtful!  Would you buy a new Herald that had a smaller engine than was
advertised?

> I've decided not to buy the car but I'm curious about the engine.

If the car is otherwise in good shape, you should reconsider.  There are plenty
of 1147 engines out there.  And even better 1296's that would help the
performance immensely.

Joe