Re: Clutch Problem

Subject: Re: Clutch Problem
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:18:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Alex :

Tell us more about what happened when you tried to start the engine in
first gear.  Did it crank (slowly) but not fire ?  Or was the starter
unable to turn the engine ?  Did you have the brakes off (both hand- and
foot-) ?  Will the car roll in neutral ?

My guess, from your description, is that your clutch is rusted to the
flywheel, pressure plate or input shaft.

Some checks you can do to eliminate other sources :
Put the car up on jackstands (or a lift if you're so lucky) and try to
move the clutch operating lever on the side of the transmission to the
rear (away from the slave cylinder).  It should be impossible to move it
any further by hand.  (I'm assuming your car does not have the
adjustment and return spring.  If it does, there should be a small
amount of movement, like .030")  Now watch it while someone else
depresses the clutch pedal.  You should see the lever move by
5/8"-3/4".  If it does, your hydraulics are working, and likely the
taper pin is not broken.  This means the problem has to be inside the
bellhousing, which means either breaking the rust loose (several
techniques have already been described) or pulling the tranny.

Randall