Re: TR3 starting

To: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>, "Dave Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>, "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 starting
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 00:47:55 -0400
> I've never done this, but I would have thought that the lines from the oil
> pressure gauge and the temperatire gauge would also have to be connected
or
> plugged to prevent an unpleasant surprise, assuming the gauges aren't
> already installed.

Reminds me of the first time I started my Seagrave fire engine, while she
was still in the junkyard. I had removed everything possible to avoid
thefts(although someone managed to nick the id plate from under the bonnet,
and I know it was there when I bought her!) including the pump gauge panel.

After a few false starts, she finally caught and ran. I was very happy,
having only cleaned the points, replaced 1/2 the plugs(one set- dual
ignition systems- 12 cylinders, 2 per, 24 total!) changed the oil and made
my own fuel supply can... I walked around to the drivers door, and
immediately noticed the oil gusher spurting five feet in the air,and going
about six feet horizontally! Beautiful arc, but I ran back and cut the
engine immediately, realizing I would need the oil gauge from the pump panel
reinstalled. Concurrently, I has another geyser from the dash, which soaked
the floor. Forgot that one, too!

Happily nothing was injured but pride. 12 quarts of oil take a while, even
at high pressure, to disappear.

Better yet was the realization that the loud sucking noise behind the cab
was the vacuum leak I was trying to find- I had removed the vacuum operated
primer valve, and never plugged the hole, thus requiring a lot of adjustment
to get an idle(3/4" dia hose!). Plugging this hole ran the adjusted idle way
up, and I set about slackening back the carbs. When I got done, she purred.

Can't wait till the Herald is done- then I can go wind the Seagrave  up
again...Been about a year and a half!

Scott