Old Wierd Herald on LSD

Subject: Old Wierd Herald on LSD
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 21:39:58 -0700
After 6 years of saying I am restoring a Triumph, five and half years of
reading this list (1/2 year reading the Heralds list) and 5 years of
traveling via mini van to car shows, we FINALLY got the opportunity to
actually drive one to a show and enter.  What fun.

Leaving Charleston, Illinois at noon yesterday one son and I had a
wonderful, 4 1/2 hour drive due north to Chicago.  The first 3/4 of the way
was on two lanes, and the last 1/4 of city driving (tough on a couple of
country bumpkins) on expressways, finally ending up on Lake Shore Drive.
Nothing beats cruising down Lake Shore Drive, with the top down on a
beautiful late summer/early fall late afternoon in the Old Weird Herald.  An
hour lost in city street traffic north of LSD was not pleasant, but it's
hard think of any portion of the trip as unenjoyable.

Last night was a wonderful meal and gratuitous hospitality from a good
friend, Irv Korey.  This morning started much to early and much to overcast,
but the rains held off most of the day, and after another jaunt south we
ended up in Palos Hills, Illinois for the British Car Union show.  I
understand that past years had been in Des Plaines, but the venue was fine
and much more convenient for those of use coming from cross eyed country.
We got the opportunity to meet many, many folks whom I feel like have been
old friends from this list as well as to renew several acquaintances from
past excursions.  It was particularly nice to finally meet Joe Alexander and
Jack Drew.  Jack has one of the neatest race cars around and seems to be
doing some particularly innovative things with it.

The show was huge, the biggest I've ever been to.  I registered at the gate
about 8:30 a.m. as car #490 and would guess at least 100 more came in after
we arrived.  Triumphs were well represented.  There was one 1800 roadster,
one very near perfect Stag, (nice car Joe :)) a spit6, probably a dozen TR3,
6 or 8 TR4's, a like number of tr7/8's, probably 15 or 20 spitfires, I will
guess 40 TR6's and, of course, one early Herald.

About 1:30 p.m. a deluge hit and brought the show to a skidding stop, but
not before we had seen all of the cars twice and spent the next 2 months
allotment with the venders.  Commercial food venders were out in force and
bagpipe musicians, with dancers roamed the show field all day.  There were
also several tech sessions going on and many, many other neat LBC's (and a
few very Big BC's, Rolls, Bentley's and Land Rovers) in attendance.

The trip home was top up and raining most of the way, but otherwise
uneventful.  In twenty four hours in the big city we had probably 150 waves,
thumbs up and friendly horn toots and but one a*** who gave us the middle
finger salute, apparently for going to slow for his tastes in the downpour.
I was truly impressed with the friendliness and open arms receptions we
received, not only from the old car nuts but from the general public as
well.

OW suffered a second trunk hinge broken (after I worked feverously Saturday
morning to install the other one new) and the main odometer decided to quit
working on the way home (15,600 miles in the last 147 days for those keeping
track) but otherwise appears no worst for the wear.  It was a good bonding
session with the son and reinforcement for my belief that Triumph folks are
the best.

See ya all soon :)

Ken Gano