Lucky Lister

Subject: Lucky Lister
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:48:41 -0400
Here is another degree of separation on the World Trade Centre disaster.

I got off the red-eye flight from LA to Montreal at 8:30 yesterday morning.
I was supposed to be flying American Airlines red-eye into NY with our CEO
for an afternoon meeting beside WTC. I diverted to be at home for my wife's
birthday before continuing to NY today (now cancelled). We have a team of
people in the Battery park and financial district for a show. My collegue
took the original flight and registered at our hotel. He was just in place
when Tower 1 got hit. When Tower 2 was struck all the debris from the big
explosion you have seen on the video fell in the street right at the doors
of the hotel. Evacuation was started right as the towers started to go down.
He was one of the people you saw running for their lives from the debris
cloud. Now he is in NY with nothing but the clothes on his back and a
discharged cell phone. Everything else is in the cordoned off area.

One of our graphic team was at the site at the base of the tower and started
filming when he saw the hole in the building after strike one. He was
filming debris falling from the hole. He stopped filming when he realized
the debris had arms and legs. Then he had to start running. Amazingly in all
that chaos our CEO and the graphist met in the street just after the initial
stampede was over.

Another VP of our firm was driving into NY on Monday night and stopped at a
hotel outside of the city intead of coming in too late. She would have met
with us at breakfast time right there.

There is no question, but that if I had continued on my original plans we
would all have had breakfast in the wrong place at the wrong time. So this
is a lucky lister who decided not to go to a meeting in order to give his
wife a birthday card.

Mark Hooper
Vice President of Technology and Development
Pixel Systems