Re: Wire Wheel Grease & Tightness

To: Shrack04@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Grease & Tightness
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:18:44 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Shrack04@aol.com wrote:

> I have new knock-offs, and can't bear to whack them with a hammer to tighten
> them.

I was in the same situation yesterday -- here's what I did & would appreciate
being told if it was not good --

I used marine-grade Lubriplate to grease the hubs as it is not too thick but is
waterproof.

I only tightened the knock-off slightly past hand tight as the lefty/righty
arrangement would seem to cause them to (if anything) tighten further as you
drive.  For 'whacking' I used a block of soft wood against the ear and hit it
with a 3 lbs. dead-blow hammer.  Used a dead-blow to reduce the possibility of
the hammer bouncing back and striking the wing.  Used a 3 lbs. so it was more of
a tap than a whack.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Tucson