Re: Dislodging liners

Subject: Re: Dislodging liners
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 21:18:54 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Angelo Graham wrote:

> Good day list:
> Planning to "freshen up" my TR2 motor with new bearing shells, rings & a
> valve job. The motor has around 40K miles on the clock and appears to be
> well maintained. I don't want to pull the liners as I don't think this is
> necessary.

IMO unless those are original rings, if the rings are worn, so are the
liners.  Modern chrome-alloy rings are very hard, tend to wear at about
the same rate as the cylinder wall.

> Should I worry about dislodging the liners during the work with the head
> off?

Yes !  Find some suitable 'furniture' (I've used 1/2" drive sockets) to
put over the 2 head studs, and clamp the liners into place.  There's a
nice photo on page B21 of the factory workshop manual showing the
Churchill tool for this.  Let me know if you need a scan of it.

> How easy are they to get out anyway? Have heard many stories about
> actually having to pound them out.

The only ones I've ever had trouble with were on a badly rusted engine.
Usually, they come out pretty easy.  But then, I normally use a hammer
and drift (made from a brass cap on a length of 3/4" water pipe) to tap
them out.

> So, should regular engine work such as de-glazing and ridge removal disturb
> the liners or should one take precautions to make sure they stay in place?

There's at least some chance you can "get away" with it.  But, you sure
are going to be mad at yourself, when those fig 8 gaskets leak, and you
have to repeat the entire teardown to replace them !  If there's enough
of a ridge to need reaming, replace the liners !

Randall