Re: TR4 lower dash bracket

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: TR4 lower dash bracket
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:04:32 +1000 FILETIME=[4D70EB10:01C14313]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John

Thank you for your reply, you have confirmed things for me. Also many thanks
to all those who replied to my original post, I have learnt a lot about
TR4/4A dash brackets and appreciate everyone's help on the topic.

John Macartney wrote:

>The TR4 blanked bracket and TR4A cut-out cover have different
>part numbers.
>
>That's because they were different

Confirmation! ;-)

And then:

>Maybe the mouth from one of the horses might be as safe? All TR's
>leaving the factory, regardless of ultimate destination (UK domestic
>or Export) had the facility for radios to be fitted without having
>recourse to changing or modifying the support, so blanking plates were
>fitted without exception. Same applied for Spitfire and GT6. ISTR the
>4 had an oblong of pressed tin in black crackle finish while the 4A
>was tapered into a rounded arrowhead at either end. This was covered
>in the same plastic covering as the support. On the 4A there was a
>recess in the support to allow the tuning display and tuning knobs /
>buttons to poke through. This enabled adequate depth for the radio
>escutcheon to be fitted on top for an attractive finish. In spite of
>the recess, the blanking plate was still slightly proud when fitted.
>Somehow, the 4A blanking plate didn't look as good as the earlier
>version on the 4 but the lower dash support was different and this
>explains the variance in part numbers.

We are very lucky to have a "horse's mouth" view on this topic. Based on
that a blanked bracket is correct for my car and I will be swapping the
radio (cut-out style) bracket currently installed in my car in favour of a
blanked bracket...

Thanks again everyone,
Michael
63' TR4