Re: rocker oil line & Penna. crude

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rocker oil line & Penna. crude
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 00:10:19 -0400
Folks,
        I visited The Roadster Factory last February, as they were
rebuilding my TR6 engine.  Naturally, I had lots of questions for the
technician.  In his opinion, the rocker oil feed line was unnecessary.
IF the oil passages are clear, the rocker shaft gets enough oil.  Use of
this extra line may even rob oil from other areas.  TRF "tanks" the
block, and inspects and clears all the oil passsages by hand.
        One of the other techs had his restored TR6 rolling chassis
parked in the showroom while working on the body out back.  I spent
some time inspecting this fresh frame, engine and driveline.  There was
no oil feed line on the engine.  He did have a spin-on oil filter adapter,
one of those hi-po starters, headers, and rear tube shock conversions
(from Vicky Brit ?!).
        Charles Runyan's TR5 was also in the showroom, and I do not
recall seeing the rocker feed line on that car either, though I was
distracted by the petrol injection system.  It does have an oil cooler.
The technician commented that he drives the hell out of the car.
        I have NFI in TRF.
        Regarding Pennsylvania crude oil, my cousins in the keystone
state have told me that it is, indeed, a unique crude.  It has a high wax
content.  Cousin Carl even works for "Petrowax", a company that
specializes in removing the wax and selling it.
        In years past, lubricants made with Pennsylvania crude were
considered superior.  My Uncle Moe always used it in his Mercury
flathead V8 stock car.  A modern, tightly-toleranced engine?  I
dunno.  Anyway, I'm told that today's Pennzoil is made with oil from
who knows where.
        I use Castrol 20W-50 in the TR6.  In my daily drivers, I use
Mobil I in the wife's '97 Cherokee, and change it every 10K.  The old
Toymota, the old Mazda, and the old Ford get the cheapest oil I can
find that has an API SJ rating, and I change it every 5K.
                My $.02
                        Rick