Re: rocker oil line & Penna. crude

To: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Subject: Re: rocker oil line & Penna. crude
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:00:16 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Rick Barnard"
>       Regarding Pennsylvania crude oil, my cousins in the keystone
state have told me that it is, indeed, a unique crude.  It has a high wax
content.  Cousin Carl even works for "Petrowax", a company that
specializes in removing the wax and selling it.
        In years past, lubricants made with Pennsylvania crude were
considered superior.  My Uncle Moe always used it in his Mercury
flathead V8 stock car.  A modern, tightly-toleranced engine?  I
dunno.  Anyway, I'm told that today's Pennzoil is made with oil from
who knows where.
<

Years ago a friend told me of an engine he inspected that had so much
sludge build up that the rockers were obscured by it.  If you ran the
engine without the valve covers you would see the sludge wiggling about as
the valves and rockers underneath operated.  The engine ran inspite of the
buildup but I think it was due for an overhaul anyway.

My dad had a '71 Chevie with the 350 cid V8 and at one point it was using a
quart of oil in 700 miles and the tail pipe was quite black.  It also
smoked due to oil leaking out of the rocker covers onto the exhaust
manifolds.  When I pulled the covers to replace the gaskets a large slug of
oil ran out.  Sludge had effectively clogged the drain holes.  I reamed the
holes, replaced the gaskets and the engine stopped using oil and the tail
pipe returned to grey.

I do not recall what oil we used in that car.

I have never seen this type of problem in a brit car.

Dave