TR6 spin on adaptorleaking. Help please

To: "Don Spence" <dspence@oanet.com>
Subject: TR6 spin on adaptorleaking. Help please
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:00:20 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Don Spence"
>Some time back I added a spin on filter adapter to the TR6. For too long I
>endured a messy garage floor and occasional topping up as it leaked in a
>constant drip drip under pressure.
<snip>
Removal again revealed that the fresh
gasket had been torn leaving an apparently gaping hole
<snip>
> All seemed to be
>well until I restarted the car this morning. Thinking it wise to do a
double
>check I backed out to the driveway, popped the hood and was dismayed to
see
>oil once again pouring out around the base of the adapter.

>I, too, installed a spin on adapter on my TR6 some years ago and I have
had no >problems at all.  But I am confused.  Where is this gasket that was
torn?  Is it the >big rubber O-ring or is it the seal under the bolt?  If
it is a gasket under the bolt >then I question the wisdom of using a gasket
there.  A copper washer makes >much more sense to me.  If this is the case,
go to the autoparts store and buy a >copper washer sized for the bolt and
try again.
<snip>
>Hints as to the best installation angle that would allow the filter to be
>removed yet would provide enough clearance so the bleed nipple on the
clutch
>slave doesn't puncture the canister would also be appreciated.

I located the filter fundementally vertical but swung forward about 5 or 10
degrees.  It clears the slave cylinder but comes out easily.  Also, in that
position it doesn't drain and the car builds up oil pressure more quickly
that with the old canister filter.

Good luck

Dave Massey