TR7 backup light problem

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 backup light problem
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:31:15 EDT
Everyone,

I should be able to figure this one out.  My backup lights have suddenly
stopped working.  With the car in reverse, and both backup bulb holders out
of the taillight assembly, I use my voltmeter and place one lead on the wire
going to one bulb holder, and the other lead on the metal shell of the light
assembly.

Sure enough, got 12 volts going through it, but the bulb won't light.  If I
test the other bulb holder, same thing.  But if I reconnect one bulb holder
to its taillight assembly, then I don't get any voltage going to either
backup light.

All of the rest of the lights work fine.  Is it possible to have 12 volts
running to the backup lights, but simply not enough amps, because of some
reason?  I assume the amps are what make the bulb light up?

And I assume this isn't a grounding problem, because I assume the taillight
assemblies ground to the body, with only a hot lead going to the bulb
assemblies.

Lots of "assumes" and you know what that means.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC