rebuilding rear end on TR3 - need sage advice

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: rebuilding rear end on TR3 - need sage advice
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:19:40 -0500
Hi all!

I've been busy trying to make the most of the nice weather here in
Iowa - I'm rebuilding the rear end for my TR3.  It's actually off a
late TR3A chassis I bought, and seems to be in much better shape than
the one that was in my car.

I've got the axles out, the oil seals out (both on both sides), the
outside cleaned up and painted ... the internals look pristine, and
the slop between pinion and crown gear is barely perceptible, so I'm
not going to mess with the innards.

But - I do want to replace the hub bearings!  The outer races on both
are slightly pitted, and I found the inner race on one to have a good
divot on the surface.

I've got the hubs off, thanks to a fellow lister who has let me
borrow his hub tool, and now I'm trying to envision just how to
remove the bearing from the axle shaft and the race from the bearing
housing.

(I already removed the cage and rollers from both shafts - is that bad???)

I can see making a little puller tool with two pieces of heavy bar
stock and a couple of good bolts to get the outer race out, and
something very similar to get it back in.

Will that work?  Anyone BTDT?  Other methods?

As for the axle shafts and the inner races - take it a shop and have
them pressed off?  I don't have a press myself...

Also, how exactly does one remove the front oil seal?  The Bentley
manual really only describes the removal if one is also removing the
pinion, which I'd rather not do.  Any tips?

Thanks for any advice!

Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - awaiting owner's time and money.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!