Drive 'em like they're new!

To: "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[8452BAD0:01C14DDD]
Subject: Drive 'em like they're new!
From: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 16:37:14 -0400 lc>
I couldnt agree more with the "drive them like they're new"
sentiment...I will finish the summer season (Boston area salt is too
vicious for my TR4) having put 8000 miles on Charlie since april (and
about 500 miles on my nominal "primary" car)...I drive him to from work,
street parking at my girlfriends, etc...the only days I dont drive is
when it is raining...(bodyworkis in great codiditon, dont want to have
to redo it, windshield wipers suck, etc)...all in all I probably drive
40 miles a day every weekday, and then 300 miles each weekend (up to
maine and back).

So far, two oil changes, (back to back b/c of the famous pint/quart
confusion), some burnt oil (one quart every few tanks), one flat tire
(in teh garage), lots of fiddling on this "rolling restoration"
project...the only inconveniences have been a) taking out the
distributor cap when I street park, and b) putting hte cover on every
night when I street park. (discourages touching/stealing, keeps pollen
etc off)

Ive had it over 100 mph (on the guage, which seems to be accurate at
least at 70mph), and do a lot of city driving.  Thank god its got an OD.

I think the car (coming out of a 5 year storage) is running better the
more I drive it.

I think I can out-accelerate most commuter boxes until I run out of
about 2nd gear at >4K rpm...is it me, or is does a triumph seem to
outperform a lot of stuff 0-40mph, but then really suffer at 40-80mph?
It is probably a funciton of air drag/low horespower at the higher
speeds, where lightness doesnt help as mcuh...

Drive em like their new!

-----------------------------

Well, I am six plus months into using the 1961 Herald as a daily driver.
For a little background, I bought Old Weird last March with 83,500 miles
on
her.
Noah Freeman
Brookside Capital/Bain Capital
111 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA, 02199
v 617.516.2922   f 617.516.2910
nfreeman@baincap.com

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]